Friday, January 28, 2011

Money is not a problem, No?

My wife and I happened to visit a huge mall near our home where they've announced a grand sale for the past week. My wife chose the opportunity to buy a few dresses for herself. On entering the mall we headed straight to the women's section, and as we entered an enclosure where the products of a particularly expensive trade-name were being sold, the salesman accosted us.

I told him that my wife was looking for cotton dresses. The salesman led us to a stack of dresses and asked superciliously:
                 "Money is no problem, No?"
                "To be honest, it's very much of a problem !", I replied.

He was rather disappointed. I realised that it is a trick that these salemen play. Once you say 'It's no problem', you are hamstrung. They show you only the expensive ranges, and having boasted that it is of no consideration, you would only be too eager to prove to him that you can indeed excel his expectations.

Even with the reply that I gave him, he initially kept on displaying only the more expensive labels which is kept well ahead in the front, and he even kept on prompting us that as one leaves the current stack and ventures further inwards, things got only more expensive. He seemed to give the impression that the best bargains were available right there, and it would be a waste of effort to scan further around the shop.

Luckily for me, my wife couldn't find any outfit that was to her liking, and when we went around, we found much more attractive pieces at much better bargains inside.

In these matters it is better for men to rely on women's methods because, men neither seem to have the patience to go around looking for better stuff after they spot something they have fallen for, nor do they have the hardness of heart to reject a persistent salesman who puts on a doleful face as you walk out rejecting all his wares. Women are rather made for it.

No comments: