Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Tragic Tale of Alfred Sams

Mr. Alfred Sams had very humble beginnings and the same circumstances continued throughout his life. He was a very talented chef whose dishes were remarkably delicious and had an appealing quaintness and were served with a peculiar aesthetic arrangement that was truly captivating. He had led a fairly respectable life, but for a short prison term that was kept a well guarded secret.

While not particularly ambitious for his own self, he was rather ambitious for his son, who also was fortunate to inherit some of his father’s talent. Alfred Sams was rather insistent that his son receive the best education and at the risk of personal suffering, he admitted his son to one of the more expensive schools in England. He wanted to ensure that his son got a good education.

The son, however, though he followed his father’s advice for a few years, quickly wearied of the drab education that he was receiving, and one day, without heeding his father’s advice, quit school.

“Dad! I’d rather use my talents and capacity for hard work to succeed, instead of following a useless academic pursuit”, he told his father.

His father patiently picked up the tale. “Son! I’m sure you are aware of my culinary skills. When I was your age, there was a recruitment test for a Royal Chef at the Buckingham Palace. Many talented chefs from all over Britain applied for the job. We all had to prepare a set of dishes that were to be personally tasted by the Queen.”

The son became curious.

“And when the dishes were prepared and set before the Queen, she found the set of dishes I had prepared to be the most impressive.”

“And I was separately summoned by the Queen, who heartily appreciated my cooking. ‘Now I want to see your testimonials’, she told me plainly”

“And Son!... If I only had the benefit of a good education I would have been the Royal Chef at the Buckingham Palace instead of having to serve a prison sentence!”

No comments: