Monday, December 7, 2009

Transparency in Public Life

I joined as a junior Class-I officer in the Govt. of India, (The Geological Survey of India) in 1978 and in thirty years of service got only one promotion. And to clarify matters, I did not miss any promotion! I was not too careful with my money, but was just about adequately wise. I have very, very rarely invested in shares and was not too astute in investments or enterprising in earning a legal income from valid economic activity. I invested in a 60 feet x 40 feet site in Bangalore in 1984 by becoming a member of a housing society, and gradually over a period of a few years, I had paid a total of Rs 80,000 towards the site. My only saving efforts were a regular contribution to the General Provident Fund over thirty years. I wish to state that in spite of being in a low-profile mediocre job, and with not much financial acumen resulting in a feeble economic activity, my fate has rewarded me with total assets much more than that declared by the Chief Justice of India who says he is worth only Rs18 lakhs. This is a shining example of the absolute integrity and honesty that a person holding a public office must have. It is only by extraordinary financial, ethical and moral discipline, and totally transparent honesty that a person holding such a top position can have such modest assets, in contrast to a mediocre officer who is worth much, much more. It should serve as an example to be emulated by the younger generation who are turning cynical at what they perceive as hypocrisy of the elder generation.

xxx

No comments: